Re: Bob Stuart

Garrett Wollman wrote:

> I think 10-2 is considered throughout the industry as the ``program
> director's airshift'' (at least at stations which are live then).
> It's not hard to understand; the PD usually works some approximation
> to ``normal business hours''.

Not so much anymore.  When I programmed, I did afternoon drive.  I would come in at
10am instead of nine, which allowed me to meet with the morning guy if necessary and I
would normally sit down with the GM/Owner at 10:30, once all the sales hacks were done
with their meetings.  This schedule would allow me to get programming, music and some
production duties done before going on the air at 3pm.  I'd get off the air at six, do
any last minute spots, and be out the door by 6:30.

With more midday shifts converting from four to five hours, it's becoming harder and
harder for a PD to cover that shift and get his/her other duties done, unless part of
the shift is voicetracked.  With many automated stations today, sometimes the only
shifts that are live are mornings and afternoons.  With the cost cutting nature of
many corporate-owned stations, today's PD is often pressed into on-air service in
drivetime.

Mike Thomas