Re: WMEX to end all-local talk

dan.strassberg@att.net wrote:

>  The
> only personality in their lineup that I can fault is
> Upton Bell, who has sounded for weeks as if he's been
> just going through the motions--even when he records
> spots for major advertisers.

You mean, they HAVE major advertisers?  Where?

> Gene Burns _has_ to be the _most_ talented talk host on
> US commercial radio--period. No exceptions. And the
> morning news/business block, which you and others who
> probably never even listened have derided as lame, is as
> good as that sort of programming gets on US commercial
> radio.

Gene Burns was a very good talk show host at one time, but he's lost a step.  If he
was, a real network would be syndicating him, not the "more guns and conspiracy" folks
at Talkamerica.  He has a familiar voice and demenor that harkens to the past and
makes older listeners feel all warm and fuzzy, but he spends too much time playing
devil's advocate than strongly pushing any kind of real opinion.

> Moreover, WMEX has done whatever it has done without
> stooping to the kind of off-color, double-entendre (on a
> good day) nonsense that has become a staple of WRKO.
> Other major-market talkers, such as WOR and even WABC,
> don't find it necessary to reach that low.

And look at the ownership of those two stations.  Very conservative.  They are not
being run by the groups that are distributing and airing "hot talk" programming such
as Clear Channel and Viacom/CBS.  Also, WOR and WABC still cater to the 55+ listener.
WRKO doesn't.

> If decent, thoughtful, talk can't survive on a powerful
> commercial signal in Boston, it probably can't survive
> on any commercial station anywhere in the US. And that
> says an _awful_ lot (and I do mean awful) about the
> state of US education. Your generation's complete lack
> of interest in anything of any consequence is nothing
> short of scary!

Ah, the tired old "ageist" excuse that Dan trots out whenever I criticize something HE
likes.  Guess what Dan,  people from YOUR generation haven't been listening to WMEX
either!!  If the station is targeting a 35-64 or even a 45+ audience, they're failing
miserably.  I don't think it's an age issue at all.  Everybody, with the exception of
you and the rest of the 0.3% of  the Boston radio listeners, DOESN'T LISTEN TO WMEX!
Why?  Because they're AWFUL!  For me, I listen to WBUR.  I listen to Brudnoy.  I'll
listen to thoughtful talk off of skywave at night in the car when I can find it.  I
hate Rush and Dr Homophobe.  I'm not a big fan of Stern.  So blanketing me with your
flawed, preconcieved notions about younger generations is inaccurate and reeks of
ignorance.

Mike Thomas