Re: WMEX to end all-local talk

> > Gene Burns _has_ to be the _most_ talented talk host on
> > US commercial radio--period. No exceptions. And the
> > morning news/business block, which you and others who
> > probably never even listened have derided as lame, is as
> > good as that sort of programming gets on US commercial
> > radio.
>
> Gene Burns was a very good talk show host at one time, but he's lost a
step.  If he
> was, a real network would be syndicating him, not the "more guns and
conspiracy" folks
> at Talkamerica.

I don't think Gene Burns ever sounded as good as he did doing middays at
WRKO.

I don't think he ever was as good prior to coming to WRKO....nor in any
situation since he left WRKO.

At WOR he sounded stiff and bombed.  He also quit mid-contract.  I think he
has burned his bridges with any real hope of syndication...both by his
bombing ratings-wise...and by his temperment.

WKOX?  He was mostly talking to himself....begging for calls...

KGO?  HE was the fill-in guy...and he was passed over for a full-time
daytime gig there...and was finally given nights.  To me....for such an
alive and intellectually challenging city...he sounds rather bored, reciting
old-line philosophy, etc.

TalkAmerica?  Puh-llleeesE!  (I see black helicopters!)

WMEX?  After the initial upbeat start...he has fallen into the WKOX
pattern...and seem to beg for calls and not know what to do with them when
he gets them.   Idle chit-chat....nothing really engaging or
compelling....from my perspective.

WRKO was a perfect match for him....with the other 3-whells of the car being
the other talent on the station which attracted similar audience...and the
whole product snowballed into a real active, engaging, self-propelling,
regenerative station!

But it appears he won't have that same situtaion again.

Just my rant....and $.02!

DM