Re: WMEX to end all-local talk

The only thing that would have come as a real shock is
if my posting hadn't elicited the sort of posting from
you that it did. Say what you will about WMEX--it is a
bold experiment in this age of cookie-cutter radio. The
only personality in their lineup that I can fault is
Upton Bell, who has sounded for weeks as if he's been
just going through the motions--even when he records
spots for major advertisers.

Gene Burns _has_ to be the _most_ talented talk host on
US commercial radio--period. No exceptions. And the
morning news/business block, which you and others who
probably never even listened have derided as lame, is as
good as that sort of programming gets on US commercial
radio.

Moreover, WMEX has done whatever it has done without
stooping to the kind of off-color, double-entendre (on a
good day) nonsense that has become a staple of WRKO.
Other major-market talkers, such as WOR and even WABC,
don't find it necessary to reach that low.

If decent, thoughtful, talk can't survive on a powerful
commercial signal in Boston, it probably can't survive
on any commercial station anywhere in the US. And that
says an _awful_ lot (and I do mean awful) about the
state of US education. Your generation's complete lack
of interest in anything of any consequence is nothing
short of scary!