Re: WMEX to end all-local talk

Larry Weil wrote:

<<Hold on, I think we are having the funeral beforethe patient has
died.  After all, it's only ONE show that's being replaced with
syndicated stuff.  And if this brings enough fans of Dr. Browne to the
station, it could help the other programs to survive.>>

The whole idea of the station is that it was to be live & local
"intellegent" talk.  Bringing in the bird is a sign that it's not
working.  Langer can't continue paying all these local hosts if he isn't
selling any time.  However, running shows off the bird homogenizes the
station and destroys any kind of "uniqueness" and identity they were
trying to build.  Usually, satellite talk on AM usually means that
eventually the whole station will go that way.

> I see the main problem here being that, powerful
> signal or not, very few people outside of us radio
> freaks even know this station exists.  As far as I
> know, they have done zero advertising.  A few press
> releases and word-of-mouth alone do not generate the
> audiences that a station like this needs to survive.

True to some extent, but WMEX did do some billboards and some print
advertising in Metrowest.  They have Upton doing his show from Faneuil
Hall on Fridays.  Part of running any start-up station is promoting the
hell out of it, and WMEX didn't do it major market.  It's also only a
daytimer with less than compelling programming.  I doubt that even a
massive marketing blitz would have garnered WMEX more than a one share.

Mike Thomas