Re: Maritime AM stations

"Bob Nelson...WMWM" <bobonradio@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Also, I often used to pick up CHSJ (St. John's NB) at
> 700 kHz (now gone) up in Gloucester. Sometimes it was
> so powerful it sounded like a local station!

CHSJ is in Saint John, New Brunswick.  The TV station is one of very few major CBC affiliates that's privately owned.  There's no s on the end of Saint, and the locals don't like to abbreviate the word "Saint."

Many people confuse this city with St. John's, Newfoundland, where they don't mind abbreviations.  That's the home of the other station you mentioned, VOCM.  That station is the answer to a good trivia question, "name a North American radio station whose call letters don't begin with "W", "K" or "C."  You can hear them online at http://www.vocm.com , but CHSJ doesn't seem to have any website at all.

I remember hearing CHSJ at 1150AM in the 70's, but apparently they moved at some point, because the internet references to the station have them at 700 as you say.

> we say "NEW-fund-lind" when it's really "new-fund-LAND".

Although the CBC emphasizes the last syllable as you say, not all Newfies or other Canadians follow that rule.  Many pronounce it as we do, and some put the emphasis on the second syllable:  New-FOUND-land.

Mark Laurence
mlaurence@mindspring.com