Re: Boston TV memories?

In a message dated 03/13/2000 11:42:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dlh@donnahalper.com writes:

<< 1.  Major Mudd's real name and where he was from?  (I recall it was Ed
 McConnell-- or was it McDonnell-- ???)  And does anybody know for sure what
 year he died?  His main slogan was "I'll be blasting you", but did he use
 any other slogans?

 2. In the late 1960s, the old Kaiser Globe station,  WKBG, Channel 56, had
 a "Captain
 Boston" and some character named "Bunker Hill" hosting cartoons, while WSBK,
 Channel 38, had "Willie Whistle" and a "Bwana Don."   (I don't remember-- I
 was away at college by then.  Does this bring any recollections?) >>

Donna,

   I remember the Major and Willie well, although I'm not sure of the year of
his death.  (if i not mistaken, he died while his show was still on the
air...)  The only slogan i recall with the Major was his sign-off. (IBBY)
   Willie of course sparked a small local revolution that drove many school
teachers crazy with the "Talk Like Willie" mouthpiece.  (the small plastic
device that, when used properly, turned every syllable into an almost
unitelligible whistle)  Was Dana Hersey "Willie's Interpreter"?  (oft heard
and never seen)
    Captain Boston is vaguely familiar, but was he before or after "Sargeant
Sakto" ? (remember the inverted finger goggles???)
    Bunker Hill's run as a post-school host was fairly short lived, if my
fading memory is correct, although, it might that I simply outgrew him.
    As a latch-key child of the 60's, I spent many hours in front of the
small b&w in the back room, working the loop antenna to get the best
pre-cable reception i could.
     fortunately, these hours were not all mispent.  now if i could only use
the megabytes of useless information for good, such as a guest seated across
from Regis.

- -Chuck Igo