Bob Shaw

Friends,

   it is with sadness that I share the following obituary notice (copied and
slightly edited for space concerns) of a true radio professional, Bob Shaw.
  (full notice at:   http://www.portland.com/news/obits.shtml )

<<Robert G. "Bob" Shaw, the radio personality with a vast knowledge of jazz
and its minutia, died Friday, just before singing a song on a cruise ship in
the Caribbean. Mr. Shaw, 69, was hosting a cruise for listeners of WLAM radio.
"He was about to play and sing for the folks," said Wally McCarthy, the
station manager, "and just died right there."
He was doing the things he loved, his wife said, explaining that the Navy
veteran loved the ocean and loved performing. "The night he died, we had gone
to dinner," Nancy Shaw said. "We even stopped and had our portrait taken an
hour and a half before he died."
Mr. Shaw truly loved music – playing it, singing it, spinning it, talking
about it. His wife remembers him playing guitar and singing standards –
especially "Lady is a Tramp" and "Come Fly With Me."
"He did them so well," she said. "So well."
Bud Sawyer said his friend had an encyclopedic knowledge of music.
"He was just phenomenal in his memory," Sawyer said. "We have lost a huge
source of information and enthusiasm for an era of music that seems to be
coming
back."
Sawyer said that Mr. Shaw was a fun man who understood music and knew trivia.
"Names you never heard of, he could quote where they were and who they were .
. . unbelievable recall of musicians and recording sessions."
In addition to playing music over the radio, Mr. Shaw performed live, at the
Top of the East, at the Bridgeway Restaurant in South Portland and later at
retirement villages.
Born in Boston, a son of Leon B. and Gladys Brown Shaw, he grew up in
Dorchester. He graduated from the Leland Powers School of Theater and
Broadcasting in Boston, and served in the Navy during the Korean War.
In the '50s. he began his radio career at WHAI in Massachusetts, then moved
to WGUY in Bangor. In 1957, he started working at WCSH radio in Portland. He
joined Snow-Net, a nationally syndicated ski reporting service, in 1972. In
1986, he joined WHOM. Until his death, he was the mid-morning on-air
personality at WLAM.
Surviving are his wife of Portland and daughter of Hiram; two sons, Steven of
Lewiston and Glenn of Portland; and a sister, Nancy Esty, of Groveland, Mass.
A celebration of his life is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the
Bridgeway Restaurant. >>

   For those who knew Bob Shaw, he was, plain and simple, a really, really
nice man.  A consumate professional who was always concerned with his on-air
work, Bob made a life out of a love:  music.
    For those who remember his Portland radio career, he was "Boppin' Bob
Shaw" in the 60's, and could "post one" with the best of them.
    I first met Bob while a fledgling radio pronouncer in 1980 at a WCSH
on-air reunion/retrospective weekend.  I had the honor of running the board
for him.  I then had the chance to work with Bob during one of his return
tenures to WYNZ (omitted from the notice) from 1989 through 1994.  Bob had a
health concern in 1994 around the time of WYNZ's sale, and by the time he had
recovered enough to return to work, the new owners (SAGA) had deleted the
MYOL format in favor of satellite talk.  Bob then found a home with Ron
Frizzel and Downeast Broadcasting's WLAM.
     I'd like to offer my sincerest condolences to Bob's family, as well as
to those who had the chance to know him even better than I.  My memory will
be that of his twinkling eyes, his bright smile and very infectious laugh.
     No more pattern changes, Bob.  Now, while you're up there, can you do
something about this consultant thing???   ;-)

with much respect,

- -Chuck Igo