RE: WTIC (AM) anniversary broadcast

<<On Sat, 12 Feb 2000 03:06:13 -0500 (EST), Sven Weil <sven@lily.org> said:

> I believe that the FCC rules specify that calls and COL be mentioned
> together with nothing between them.  The order in which they are announced
> doesn't matter.

If you had actually looked at the legal ID rules (hint: The Boston
Radio Archives), you would have found the following text from 47 CFR
73.1201 (emphasis mine):

(b) Content.
     (1) Official station identification shall consist of the
         station's call letters immediately followed by the community
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
         or communities specified in its license as the station's
         location: Provided, That the name of the licensee or the
         station's frequency or channel number, or both, as stated on
         the station's license may be inserted between the call
         letters and station location. No other insertion is
         permissible.

     (2) A station may include in its official station identification
         the name of any additional community or communities, but the
         community to which the station is licensed must be named
         first.

What's incredible is that so many stations can't seem to comprehend
this, one of the simplest and easiest-to-understand of all FCC rules.
Probably has something to do with the fact that the FCC can't be
bothered to enforce much of anything these days.

-GAWollman