Re: Bob Bittner's Unlikely Ally In The Fight Against The "CashMachine"

Delay for all-talk stations generally does stay on all the time. However,
there are situations when the station has to go "live". Back in the day
when I produced the morning show on WRKO, we had Grant in the chopper doing
the traffic reports. In order to make the transition from the studio hosts
to Grant sound smooth (without Grant coming in 7 seconds after he was
supposed to), we would cut out of delay just as we were going into a spot
before doing traffic. That way whatever we were doing in the studio was
happening at the same time for us as it was for Grant. And when traffic was
done, we'd flip the switch, and gradually climb back into delay.

We also used delay a lot to fix mistakes. If we were in delay and played
the wrong spot, for instance, we would stop it, then listen to the airsound
(instead of the studio sound). As the airsound caught up, we'd cut out of
delay right before the mistake, go "live" and play what we were supposed
to. And no one was the wiser. :)

Chris Adams
Crystal Air Productions
"We Make Radio...Funny"