Re: FM Boosters

"A. Joseph Ross" <lawyer@world.std.com> wrote:
>On 27 Jan 00,  Sven Weil wrote:
>> Why would a college start a radio station the students can't run?
>
>I believe that WUMB may have originally been a student-run station.

Apparently so.  www.wumb.org has the details...

"It went on the air in 1982 with an all- volunteer announcing staff, moving
to a professional staff in 1986 when it became a public radio affiliate of
the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB)."

It also goes on to say that there are UMass Boston students involved,
apparently some as employees and others as interns.

I wonder - does CPB funding/affiliation mandate a professional staff?

-Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros@mit.edu