Re: LPFM - Tech Question

<<  I have almost no tech knowledge either, but my understanding is that
there will be little or no room for LPFM in the biggest urban areas. >>

That was pointed out many times over in the comment period that followed the
Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, but the FCC's desire for a political
issue/Clinton legacy-enhancer apparently overrode the facts. In order to fit
in a LPFM station, you first have to find a frequency that is at least three
channels (0.6 mHz) removed from any local station. In addition, your
frequency has to be well outside the interference-free contour of any other
station occupying that channel (the FCC is adding 'buffer zones' to existing
spacing requirements,) and one not currently hosting a translator or one in
the application process. It's unlikely that many of these "spaces" exist
where a significant number of people reside.

The ostensible purpose of the new Low Power service is to provide a 'voice'
to underrepresented groups and minotities. It's axiomatic that these groups
are largely concentrated in urban areas, where only a small handful of the
thousand or so new stations will fit. Meanwhile, rural areas currently
served by local stations will accomodate the majority of the new facilities.
I would not be surprised ... after a few years of reality ... to see a large
portion of these stations off the air and their licenses lying fallow at the
FCC.