Off-topic rant (was Re: Bob Bittner's Unlikely Ally...)

Doug Broda wrote:
>I get even more bugged when the record company
>releases edited versions and then makes the
>original hard to find. Try finding the original,
>full-length 45 version of "The Best Disco In Town,"
>the one most stations played when it was current.
>It's only on one off-brand CD that may be out of
>print, as far as I can tell... all the compilations
>have a deeply cut version.
Are you having trouble finding the correct version?
Contact me off-list.

I have the reverse problem.  Record companies have
frequently released edited and/or remixed versions of
songs that are recognized as _the_ hit version, but
when they release the artist's "Greatest Hits", the
album version is included.

Examples:
Joy To The World - Three Dog Night - Added guitar(s)
in the solo.  Greatest Hits has the uninspired LP mix.

Hit Me With Your Best Shot - Pat Benatar - Added
guitar - missing in the LP mix.

Roger Kirk
rogerkirk@ttlc.net