Re: Off-topic rant (was Re: Bob Bittner's Unlikely Ally...)

That bothers me too, thuogh I wasn't aware of the Three Dog Night one. When
you buy a Greatest Hits CD, you should always get the version that charted
(or at least get liner notes indicating you're not.) With versions that
don't vary in length, I get the suspicion that unless it's the Beatles
(where you can find each altered mix dissected online), Elvis or another of
the twenty or so biggest acts of the rock era, the labels either (a) don't
know the difference, (b) don't care; or (c) both.

Neither, though, is as bad as the Dirty Dancing cut of "Love Is Strange,"
which radio stations so often play even though the full version is readily
available. Eek.

At 02:33 PM 1/21/00 -0500, Roger Kirk wrote:

>I have the reverse problem.  Record companies have
>frequently released edited and/or remixed versions of
>songs that are recognized as _the_ hit version, but
>when they release the artist's "Greatest Hits", the
>album version is included.
>
>Examples:
>Joy To The World - Three Dog Night - Added guitar(s)
>in the solo.  Greatest Hits has the uninspired LP mix.
>
>Hit Me With Your Best Shot - Pat Benatar - Added
>guitar - missing in the LP mix.

Douglas J. Broda
Broda and Burnett
Attorneys at Law