Re: LPFM - Tech Question

I have almost no tech knowledge either, but my understanding is that there
will be little or no room for LPFM in the biggest urban areas. And I don't
see how one could really allow LPFM in markets where FMs are already
squeezed in without serious risk to existing signals. (Example: You're in
Brockton. What channel would you put an LPFM on that wouldn't pose real
risk to an existing broadcaster regarding signals within their market, even
if properly operated?)

That's part of why my view is that we should allow not just LPFM, but
*commercial* LPFM in more rural areas. They're seriously underserved
media-wise, and allowing commercial LPFM (perhaps with a real public
service and local ownership and programming obligation) would provide
something highly valuable to those communities, with little risk
signal-wise to existing stations... and would provide a new and affordable
advertising outlet for small rural businesses.

At 12:03 PM 1/21/00 -0500, Marc Lemay wrote:
>OK - can someone clear something up for me?
>
>With my limited brain power of technical issues when it comes to radio, let
>alone the Pandora's Box of LPFM, the way I understand this "victory" for
>LPFM is this:
>
>Let's say - for conversation sake, I wanted to start an LPFM station in
>Greater Boston...under the rules, I not only have to find a frequency that
>doesn't interfer with Boston stations, but other stations in nearby markets,
>such as Providence, Worcester, and even Manchester.
>
>Am I understanding this correctly?  And if so, doesn't this mean Boston LPFM
>folks get the proverbial shaft, due to the amount of frequencies NOT
>available around here?
>
>Don't get me wrong - I'm all for LPFM - I just see this as a weak victory
>for fans of LPFM - unless of course you live in the sticks where radio is
>more of a luxury and not a livelyhood.
>
>Marc Lemay

Douglas J. Broda
Broda and Burnett