Re: Talking Information Ctr.

In a message dated 1/21/00 1:11:23 AM Eastern Standard Time, Chuckigo@aol.com
writes:

<< Hal has been with WPOR in Portland for almost 25 years now, and was just
 informed his services as an on-air personality were no longer required.
this
 word followed his "demotion" to overnights from a very stable & respectably
 rated midday host a couple of years back after the ownership change of WPOR
 was completed.  >>

I will never understand Saga's handling of WPOR.  In various ways, they drove
off all the popular, long time members of the on-air staff.  (Their treatment
of Hal Knight is just the worst example of how they have handled the
station.)  I think the original thought was the staff at the time did not
sound contemporary enough.  After a couple of years with an air staff that
generally sounded like they would fit better on a CHR station, Saga has hired
people for mornings and afternoons that have a more traditional approach to
country radio.  Why didn't they just keep the people they had?

WPOR remains pretty strong in the ratings, but has not reached the ratings
that they had before Saga ripped the station apart.  My speculation is that
all Saga's move have also done little to improve the profitability of the
station.

By the way, as of this week, WPOR is now broadcasting from Saga's Western
Avenue, South Portland facility.

If the people at WTHT are smart, they'll offer Hal a job doing middays at the
station.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine
    Former part-timer at WPOR in 1988