Leo Egan

>Ed Brouder wrote:
<snip>
>The WBZ weekly music survey for
<snip>
>May 14-20, 1958 . . . has a reference to Leo Egan in Carl
>DeSuze's column.  It indicates he was Carl's morning news guy.
>
>I have a WBZ aircheck with Leo doing morning drive news on 8/3/59.  My
>next aircheck of him is doing the same thing for WHDH on 6/21/61.

>And Dan Strassberg wrote:
<snip>
> And I kind of remember him [Egan] doing news at WHDH in the 60s.
<snip>

        In the early-mid '60s, Leo Egan was definitely the newscaster on
the Jess Cain Show. What I remember most about him was the 7:30 a.m. news,
the "Breakfast Extra." I believe it ran at least 10 and maybe 15 minutes.
This is when WHDH was counter-programming the news, as it did essentially
all through the '60s, to my recollection, and maybe beyond. It ran the
5-minute news at the bottom of the hour and 60 seconds or nothing at the
top, except in drive, when it also did 5 minutes at the top. One of the
interesting things to note is how much earlier the audience has moved in
morning drive since then, when they scheduled the big 15-minute super
newscast for 7:30.
        I'm pretty sure I also recall that Leo Egan did news on WHDH-TV
(ch. 5), probably later in the '60s? Didn't he do the early evening TV
news, probably when it was still only 15 minutes? If he did, either he had
a really long workday or he had given up the AM drive radio news.