NorthEast Radio Watch 5/14: CBM Leaves 940

*Our top story this week comes from CANADA, where the CBC has departed
the AM dial in Montreal after 77 years.  On Thursday, listeners to CBM
(940) heard programming interrupted every ten minutes by a recorded
announcement to switch to FM beginning at midnight.  When the hour
arrived, CBC Radio One programming was interrupted mid-promo for a
repeating loop directing listeners to "88.5 on the FM dial" -- CBME,
the 4000-watt replacement for CBM's booming 50 kilowatt class A
signal.  The loop then ran for 24 hours, ending with no fanfare at
midnight Friday.

The CBC seems to already realize that the 88.5 signal is inadequate to
reach the old CBM audience; they asked the CRTC this week for
permission to boost power to 16900 watts (presumably directional to
protect adjacent-channel WXLU 88.3 in Peru NY and WWPV 88.7 in
Colchester VT), and they're reportedly being deluged with calls from
listeners who can't hear the FM replacements.  That number, should
you, too, miss CBM is 514-597-4466.

For the next few months, DXers might get some interesting catches on
940, but Montreal won't be gone long.  Expect the CRTC to decide
within a few months among the several applicants for 940 and 690,
abandoned earlier this year by CBF.

*We'll edge back onto our home turf way up in northern MAINE, where
Andy Soule has moved on to a new job as morning jock, PD, promotions,
operations, and sales at WDME (103.1) in Dover-Foxcroft.  Soule was
doing sales for the last few months at the Presque Isle combo of WQHR
(96.1)/WBPW (96.9)/WOZI (101.9), after several years as PD/operations
manager for the group.  Also departing WBPW is longtime morning guy
J.R. Mitchell, who's now a beer distributor.  OM/PD Rick Davis slides
across the hall from WQHR to take over mornings at WBPW, while Jason
McKay comes aboard to do mornings on Q96.1.

*From NEW HAMPSHIRE comes word that Bruce Lyons has resigned as
general manager of WTSN (1270 Dover) and WBYY (98.7 Somersworth).  No
replacement has been named.

*We're saddened to report the passing of a VERMONT radio institution.
Bob Kimel came to the Green Mountain State in 1959 when he purchased
WWSR (1420), making good on a promise to own his own station by age
35.  Kimel had been sales manager at WHAV AM-FM in Haverhill, Mass.
In later years, he added WSNO/WORK in Barre, WLFE St. Albans, and (for
a while) WEHW Windsor Locks, Connecticut to his station group.  Kimel
also went to work for a station brokerage group, then started his own
firm, New England Media, which he ran until his retirement in 1990.
Kimel suffered a stroke on Thursday, May 6.  He was 74.  He's survived
by his wife, Bea, and sons John and David.