Re: Eve of Destruction (Was Re: Market Research)

On 16 Apr 99,  Martin J. Waters wrote:

 The song has
> a line comparing Alabama to "Red China," which back then registered as
> about a 9.8 on the Richter scale of controversial.

"Look at all the hate there is in Red China, then take a look around to
Selma, Alabama.

Younger people today,
> IMO, don't get just how wild it was for this song to show up on the radio
> then. Blatantly political songs were just beginning to show up. This was
> one of the first.

I always thought of "Blowin' in the Wind" as the first.  I didn't really
understand it when I heard it, but I certainly knew it was different.

>         Since the teen-age me already owned this amazing single, it was a
> very eye-opening and in fact radicalizing experience to hear this. As
> young as I was, I found it a good lesson in how large, conservative
> corporations have great control over the media.

Yes, but back then, there were enough stations willing to play it to
make it a hit.  Today, I'm not so sure.

 A.Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/