Re: Eve of Destruction (Was Re: Market Research)

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999 23:58:36 -0400 SteveOrdinetz <steveord@xtdl.com>
writes:

>This may be an urban legend.  Checking some old WBZ surveys I have (lots
of
>gaps, alas) EOD was #1 on 8/28/65, #2 on 9/4/65, the next survey I have
is
>9/18, and EOD is #19, falling from #16 a week earlier.  Considering
>that singles had a fairly short chart life in those days, this seems to
>indicate the song just ran its course and dropped off the chart
gradually.

It's always been true of those novelty type records.  As a Music Director
in the 1970's, I remember putting "Mr. Jaws" by Dickie Goodman at #30 one
week, #1 the next, and dropping it completely off the playlist the next.
These novelty records can get annoying pretty quickly.  Right now,
there's that one about Sunscreen -- hopefully that one will only be
around a couple of weeks, too...

Rick Kelly

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]