Re: Eve of Destruction (Was Re: Market Research)

At 02:39 AM 4/16/99 -0400, Martin J. Waters wrote:

>        It was so controversial that Westinghouse pulled it off all its
>stations, but not until it already had gone very quickly to the top of the
>charts. An aircheck I wish I had is Dave Maynard on the WBZ weekly Sunday
>morning/afternoon top 30 countdown show explaining why Eve of Destruction,
>which had been #1 or #2 (I forget) the previous week, was off the
>air--gone. He said something to the effect that Westinghouse headquarters
>had decided it was not appropriate, or some such rather bland statement, I
>believe. But I wish I had exactly what he said. It's interesting that he
>explained it at all.

This may be an urban legend.  Checking some old WBZ surveys I have (lots of
gaps, alas) EOD was #1 on 8/28/65, #2 on 9/4/65, the next survey I have is
9/18, and EOD is #19, falling from #16 a week earlier.  Considering that
singles had a fairly short chart life in those days, this seems to indicate
the song just ran its course and dropped off the chart gradually.

Steve