Re: Market Research)

This business of censoring records has a fairly long history.  I
remember some songs back in the 1950s where some stations objected
to playing records that mentioned a commercial product.  For example,
the song "A Rose and a Baby Ruth" apparently had a version preferred
by some stations where it was "A Rose and a Candy Bar."  Another
song, "Rum and Coca Cola" apparently wasn't played on some stations
which objected to promoting a product that wasn't paying for the
promotion.

In the early 1960s, there was a song called "My Boomerang Won't
Come Back," which attributed the following words to an Australian
aborigine:

    I've waved the thing all over the place,
    Practiced till I was black in the face.
    I'm a big disgrace to the Aborigine race;
    My boomerang won't come back.

After the song had been on for a few weeks, a new version appeared,
substituting "blue" for "black."

 A.Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/