Re: transcription turntables

David W. Harris said:

> In your travels, my friends, have you seen a functioning transcription
> turntable anywhere?  I've been asked by the NH Division of Records
> Management & Archives to dub some old disks and my home setup can handle
> any speed and any size up to 14" but I need something else for those old
> gubernatorial speeches they have on 16" platters.  I know where I can
> buy a new transcription turntable--at about 500 bucks!--but I can't see
> spending that kind of money for this little project.

For that matter, any help any former radio disk jockeys/board operators
could give me with this would be VERY VERY GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! :)

(I MEAN IT)

Some months back I bought a Russco studio turntable (a Cue Master model)
The model is in excellent condition mechanically (the motor needs
lubricating, but that's about it) and it needs a base (which i can make
myself).

Only problem is it needs a tonearm or headshell. You see it came with a
Shure tonearm. Unfortunately, the headshell (which is made out of plastic)
and is similar to a modern-day "standard mount" headshell that is used on
Technics 1200s, is stripped. Modern day cartridges (at least the ones I've
been able to find) don't fit in the arm's holder.

 I would rather replace the arm with something more modern and high
quality. The present arm is mounted on a bakelite base that is in turn
fastened with 3 screws to the record player's motor board. the arm's
four-prong connector plugs into a four-hole cable which is terminated with
twin rca plugs for an amp (and a groundwire). I think this is the similar
setup used for that other radio workhorse, the technics-sp 15 (? not sure
of model #) -- the one that can be mounted in the console or on a wood
base. Also i think that that technics uses the same type of arm.

Any radio engineers can help me get a tonearm for this thing? It's a very
heavy duty machine and I'd sure hate to see it go to waste.  Bob, you as a
radio station owner, if you still use similar turntables, can you lend a
hand? (I'm sure others out there can also help?)

David, if this thing starts working again, you could come down here and
probably dub those records onto tape...i believe this machine is capable
of handling 16 inch records...it's also got three speeds...

Garett, sorry for the humongous non-radio related posting, even tho this
thing is a piece of radio control room electronics history :)

BTW, i've seen pictures of the WLNG-FM studios...and it seems like they
have russco cue-masters in their control rooms. If any WLNG staffers are
on here that could offer me pointers (or could even sell me a spare
tonearm) that would be greatly appreciated.

THANX :)

- --
Sven Franklyn Weil            "The needs of the many outweigh
<sven@lily.org>                          the needs of the few
<http://www.lily.org/~sven>                      or the one."
                                                     -- Surak