Re: Tacky Awards ( February 199NINE)

On 16 Feb 99,  Larry Weil wrote:

> Wasn't there a supreme court decision a few years ago (I think) that one
> could use copyrighted material for the purpose of satire?

There have been a number of decisions on that point.  Satire is
considered "fair use," within limits.  Jack Benny, many years ago, was
found to have crossed those limits when he was sued for his satire of
"gaslight."  The Supreme Court found that his satire had too much of
the original dialog in it and very little original material.  I think they just
didn't have a sense of humor.

 A.Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/