Re: Pronunciation

On 16 Feb 99,  Bob Nelson wrote:

> Also, I'm curious--was there ever a time where a
> certain actor-turned-politician had his last name
> pronounced "REE-gun"? I've seen and heard it
> said that way on such things as an old episode of
> "Laugh In", a Stan Freberg album, and a Phil Ochs
> spoken intro to a song. Unless they had it wrong,
> I find it odd that at one point people just started
> saying his last name as "RAY-gun". (I'm 37, so I'm
> not really sure how it was pronounced in the old days
> other than in the examples I gave.)

Well, back in the 1950s, he appeared regularly on G.E. Theatre, and he
always pronounced his name RAY-gun when he introduced himself.  I
also have a videotape of old Milton Berle material in which Reagan's
name is pronounced RAY-gun.

 A.Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/