WQVR goes Classic Rock as "The Fox."

WQVR-Southbridge, MA (100.1) the former Q-100, has flipped to Classic
Rock, calling themselves "Worcester's Classic Hits, 100.1 The Fox." The
station has also changed calls to WWFX.  The flip happened at about
4:15-4:30  I missed the switch--I was in the car...:(  Anyway, the
format was up and running till about 4:45, when apparently the computer
crashed, leaving dead air for about 90 minutes.  The station was back on
by 6:15.  Although they call themselves a "Classic Hits" station,
they're actually classic rock, with artists such as Led Zeppelin, Jimi
Hendryx, Van Halen, Aerosmith, Neil Young, the Cars, Springsteen etc.

Now, the question is...why?  Worcester County already has a classic
rocker in WORC-FM--The Bus.  WZLX does OK in the metro and WEGQ comes in
strong throughout most of the ADI.  In addition, South County residents
can also hear WWRX out of Providence.  I guess the Fox believes they can
take out the Bus (and their whopping .9 share) and grab a couple of
points from WZLX, and sell the 35-54 male numbers.  I truly hoped the
station would fill one of the gaping format holes in the market, as
opposed to playing it safe with re-tread rock already heard on several
other area stations.  Oh well.....

Mike Thomas
WXLO & Premiere Radio Networks