spinning the dial

A few random observations from recent dial-spinning:

Just prior to the WBOS New Music Show, listeners can now get a couple
hours of classic rock.  Reelin' in the Years with George Taylor Morris
has been added at 7 a.m. Sunday.  Can this be the work of the new P.D.
(hint: his initials are G.T.M.)?

20 fewer hours One-on-One Sports on WKBR!  The Tom Leykis Show now has
the 6-10 p.m. slot weekdays on 1250...if the automation works.

For many years I enjoyed listening to Paul Harvey at lunchtime but my
work schedule has kept us apart since last summer.  With the day off
Monday, I decided to tune in at 12:06 to hear the old man in high
fidelity on WFTN-FM.  Alas, this midday fixture of Mix 94.1 FM since the
station's earliest days is now gone.  I suppose there aren't a lot of
hot AC (or whatever that format is) stations that feature Paul Harvey.

I moved over to WBZ to catch their delayed broadcast of P.H. and was
surprised by the deterioration in his voice since last summer.  Is this
just a temporary problem with a cold or something?  The man still knows
how to tell a story, but the pipes just don't work the same anymore.  I
found the frailty in that once-great voice disturbing.  I'd like to hear
the observations of regular Harvey listeners.