Re: Worst 50k's

On Sat, 7 Nov 1998, shel wrote:

> >First of all, WCAS wasn't the "orginal" 740.  The original 740 was WTAO.
>
> How about WXHR?  Anyway, that's what I mean..

You referred to the "original" WCAS.  WTAO was the "original."  WXHR was
the second incarnation of the station.  Then WCAS, then WLVG, then WWEA,
then WJIB.  Did I leave any out?

> >Finally, the FCC has nothing to say about it.  There's an international
> >treaty involved.
>
> Are you implying that while all the other countries constructed an
> international treaty, the U.S. was shut out??

No, the US was a party to the treaty.  That's why US stations were bound
by it.

>   CBL's skywave signal must be protected anywhere north of
> >the Canadian border.  Which means that no US signals on 740 can cross the
> >border after dark.  Period.
>
> Sure.  But what interest would a canadian sation have in covering a U.S.
> audience?  The could go directional instead, and serve their far-northern
> oopulation.

Well, there isn't much population in the far north, so I guess they have
an "oopulation" instead. <g>

Seriously, the CBC has shortwave transmitters to serve northern Canada.
They can cover a wider area and serve a reasonable listener base.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/