Re: Mono (wasRe: WLNG-FM)

On Sat, 7 Nov 1998 FMradio1@aol.com wrote:

> I remember a fun "mono/stereo" type show on WHCN-Hartford in the 1980's.  It
> was called "Back To Mono" which ran Sunday mornings.  It was a 60's/70's
> flashback type show featuring rock from AOR's infancy.  At the beginning of
> each show, the announcer would instruct you to "watch your stereo light"--then
> the board tech would shut off the stereo generator and the tunes would start.
> At the end of the show, usually during the last song, the generator would be
> unceromoniously turned back on.

Why was it necessary to turn off the stereo generator?  Would it sound
different than if they just played a mono recording with the stereo
generator on?

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/