Re: Worst 50k's

On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, shel wrote:

> Now you take the orginal WCAS/740.  It was a terrific, LOCAL station.
> Instead of cowering down to the Canadians, the FCC should have realized that
> the Canadian CBL/740 signal was of no use to American citizens, so WCAS
> should have offered REASONABLE protection to CBL, but certainly, 1kW
> fullltime couldn't have done a thing to CBL's licensed coverage area.  I'd
> saythat even 5kW by day wouldn't have hurt CBL, and the only co-channel
> disturbance possibility was 730 in western Masachusetts, as I recall, as
> WACE/Chicopee.

First of all, WCAS wasn't the "orginal" 740.  The original 740 was WTAO.

Second, I first discovered CBC stations on Am radio in the early 1960s,
when I was in high school, and after that, I listened quite often.  I even
set a button on my car radio for 740 in order to listen to CBL in my car
at night (Actually, I think I first set a button for 740 when it was WXHR,
then kept it there for CBL.).  In fact, it was because I had a button set
for CBL that I first discovered WJIB.

Finally, the FCC has nothing to say about it.  There's an international
treaty involved.  CBL's skywave signal must be protected anywhere north of
the Canadian border.  Which means that no US signals on 740 can cross the
border after dark.  Period.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/