Re: Newt Resigns....and radio coverage....

On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, BUMP MARTIN wrote:

> Ok, it's Friday night...I'm cruising around in the car when I hear
> that Newt Gingrich is stepping down!  The drama in Washington
> continues!

I heard the news in my office this afternoon on WCRB.  But one quibble I
have with the coverage (and your "Subject" heading) is that the news media
don't seem to know the difference between stepping down and resigning.
Newt's term as speaker ends on 3 January 1999, when the new Congress takes
office.  He has announced that he will not run for another term.  He is
not resigning as speaker.  An aid also said that Newt may not serve out
his next term in Congress.  When and if that happens, it =will= be a
resignation, but so far, it's rather vague and unconfirmed.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/