Re: Worst 50k's

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Ari Alpert wrote:

> License for WALE may say 50K, but I don't think they're actually
> running 50K (last I heard from someone who worked there).

The last time I visited their site -- about seven years ago -- they were
running 50 kW daytime, 500 watts at night. Their transmitter was in
Burrilville, about 20 miles from Providence, and they used a 6-tower array
which sent most of the 50 kW in the direction of Providence and out to
sea.  They were unlistenable in Boston.

At night they were unlistenable in Providence, too.

The transmitter was an RCA Ampliphase; I understand they have a Nautel
now.

Rob Landry
umar@nerodia.wcrb.com