Re: Worst 50k's

>License for WALE may say 50K, but I don't think they're actually
>running 50K (last I heard from someone who worked there).  The 50K
>license is their greatest selling point as you ponted out...  WPRO at
>5K does WAY better in all directions and is decent at night most
>places around RI, too (unlike WALE).

WPRO on 630 kHz, has nothing on that frequency in any other New England
state, so its signal is always terrific.  Almost like a clear channel.

WALE couldn't care less about ratings, as people pay to be on the air there.
The original WALE was 1400 in Fall River, from where I once did a DX test
inthe late 1960s.  It was a real station, with locally-produced programs,
for which people were paid.  It sickens me to know what the current owners
have done to pervert the heritage call letters of WALE.

Interestingly, Boston is major market #8 (accoring to Arbitron), yet NONED
of its 50kw stations are non-directional!  However, I was told that WBZ is
directonal on purpose, so that much of its signal would not be wasted out on
the water.

WHDH/850 (I know, now it's WEEI) for al its 50kW didn't have clear
channel-type coverage.  WRKO's 50kW cooker died south of Sharon on I-95 at
night, just 20 miles south of its transmitter site. I lived in Sharon, so I
know. All to protect WPTF/Raleigh NC!

Now you take the orginal WCAS/740.  It was a terrific, LOCAL station.
Instead of cowering down to the Canadians, the FCC should have realized that
the Canadian CBL/740 signal was of no use to American citizens, so WCAS
should have offered REASONABLE protection to CBL, but certainly, 1kW
fullltime couldn't have done a thing to CBL's licensed coverage area.  I'd
saythat even 5kW by day wouldn't have hurt CBL, and the only co-channel
disturbance possibility was 730 in western Masachusetts, as I recall, as
WACE/Chicopee.