Re: WLNG-FM (was WCBS-FM 101.1..)

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Pete Ferrand wrote:

> In small markets, each advertiser is acutely aware of whether the
> advertisement is bringing customers into the store. The owners of these
> little businesses know their customers and hear from them about the ads.

When I was at KDON in Salinas, CA in the mid-eighties, I was present at a
truly impressive demonstration of the power of radio.

One Saturday morning I was called by the station; the program line for a
remote broadcast didn't work, and they asked me to see what I could do.  I
ended up in the back seat of a car feeding wire out the window as the car
was hoisted into the air by a crane. Our midday jock was in the driver's
seat with a microphone, describing the scene live on the air.

As the car reached its highest elevation, about 70 feet above the parking
lot, we could see the whole town stretching out around us, and it was then
that the jock asked everyone in the radio audience to honk their horns...
and suddenly all the cars passing by started honking like crazy; it seemed
like all the horns in town were honking. It was awesome.

Needless to say the car dealer was very happy; I wouldn't be surprised to
hear he's still advertising on KDON even now.

Rob Landry
umar@nerodia.wcrb.com