Ex-band stuff, including WTRY (Was Re: 1660 and 1on1)

>John Bolduc wrote:
>I'm hearing another signal on 1660. It' is doing 1on1 Sports. Anyone help
>with the call sign and location.

        I logged that the other night. WQSN, Kalamazoo, Michigan, with a
109-degree tower. Here, about 90 miles northeast of NYC, it's bombing in
over the Elizabeth, N.J., station on 1660.

        Another new Ex-band station for me last week was 1640: WAZI,
Sussex, Wisconsin, 84-degree tower, with a Christian music format when I
heard it. My first DX logging of a station in Wisconsin. Now I won't have
to spend another whole winter trying in vain to get WTMJ just before it
reduces power <g>.

        Speaking of 1640: The FCC database shows that WTRY received an
ex-band allotment for 1640. Does anyone know whether they intend to build
it--and, if so, WHY?