Re: Buffalo Bob Smith - RIP

> > In the 1970's version there was a sidekick that went by the name
of "Happy
> > Harmony". I seem to recall this young later as being a weather
"reporter"
> > for WSMW TV27 news in Worcester at one time.

     I also recall her doing the spots for "Ragsdale Chevrolet" (in
"beautiful" Worcester), in the late 1970's. There were produced at
WSMW-TV's Beverly Road studios in Worcester and were run throughout
the market.

> "The New Howdy Doody Show" aired in syndication during the 1976-77
season
> and was shown locally on Channel 38.  It apparently did well in the
> midwest, but died on the coasts.  "Happy Harmony," who was Dilly
Dally's
> teacher, was played by Marilyn Patch.  She also occasionally talked
to a
> handpuppet, whose name I can't remember.  The show also featured a new
> Howdy Doody puppet with 1970s-style long hair.

     I recall that 1976-77 version of "The Howdy Doody Show" that
began with "From the Sunshine State, Florida...the home of "Doodyville
USA" ..HERE HE IS....Buffalo Bob Smith !!!"
     You may be interested to know that when the original "Doody" show
aired on NBC, it was in COLOR !  Unfortunately, most of the kinescopes
and the new video tape were lost over the years.  But from 1956 until
the end of the show's run in 1960, the show was broadcast in color.
But only stations with color facilities (mainly in the largest
markets) could broadcast the show live and in color.  Here in New
England, WBZ-TV (Channel 4, Boston) and WWLP-TV (Channel 22,
Springfield) with its' fulltime satellite WRLP-TV (Channel 32,
Greenfield) could broadcast network color. BTW, WWLP and the late WRLP
also ran the new show from 1976-77.

- -Pete

==