Re: 1690 WMDM Lexington Park MD

>John Bolduc wrote:
>Last evening I heard 1690 WMDM Lexington Park MD for the first time. The
>were also booming in a 7AM this morning in southern NH. Is this station new
>on the expanded band, or have I just taken my time to hear them. I scan the
>expanded band on a regular basis.
<snip>

        They must be new on 1690 very recently. I also heard them for the
first time just a few nights ago, booming in big. My first thought was,
this must be the closest ex-band station to me except for N.J. that I've
heard yet, and your ID of them confirms that. N.E. is just at the right
distance, roughly 300-400 miles, to get a really big skywave from their
mighty 1 kW.
        It's funny how the thrill of the ex-band already is wearing off. I
didn't bother to leave 1690 on long enough to get an ID. I also noticed
that on one of the channels, 1670, I think, I heard two or three stations
interfering with each other the other night. Just like the rest of the AM
band. I can hardly wait for about 10 years from now when all the ex-band
stations have gotten power increases so they're 25 kW, DA-3 <cynical grin>.