X-Band Fidelity (was Re: 1690 WMDM Lexington Park MD)

Years and years ago, when Boston's WMEX/1510 was a top 40 station, I noticed
it seemed to have more fidelity than stations much lower on the band, like
1150 or 590.  So I phoned WMEX's Chief Engineer, who explained that indeed,
the higher teh AM wavelength, the better the sound....and the greater the
skip.

If indeed that is true, do any of you folks hear those new ex-band stations
sounding a bit more crisp...with better high and low-end response?

Most curiously,  shel swartz