ABC FM Network

Peter George's post about use of the ABC FM Network at WBIM reminds me
of use of the ABC FM Network during my college radio days at WAIC-FM in
Springfield in the early 70's. For $11.00 a month (the line charge to
local ABC radio affliate WMAS) we were able to program the American FM
Network on our little 230 watt college station. It was great practice
working the music, talk-up, etc. for the news that began at :15 past the
hour. We also made full use of the ABC newscalls and sportscalls. We
also aired some of the really fine ABC programs like "Perspective" and
"Speaking of Everything" with Howard Cosell which wouldn't have been
heard in the Springfield Market if we hadn't run them. We would cover
the 60 second spot in the FM newscast with PSA. You were in big trouble
if you let the spot go out over the air! For most of the time I was
there, we didn't have a budget for a wire machine so the link to ABC was
our only link to the outside world. Having that setup with ABC was
certainly benefical to us and to our tiny audience. Do they still help
out college stations in this way?

Chris Sullivan
CJSULLFLA@webtv.net