Re: 1150kHz, Boston

At 09:08 PM 7/14/97 +0000, you wrote:
>At 09:57 AM 7/11/97 -0400, Bill Piacentini wrote:
>>Around 5:30PM on Thurs. 7/10/97 while listening to 1150AM I heard a
>>simulcast of WHDH with occassional 10-20 seconds of WAAF interupting every
>>few minutes. They must be in some interesting test mode. Why use the 850AM
>feed?
>>

>Anyone other than myself notice that 1150 now seems to be simulcasting 850
>full-time? I first heard this Saturday evening while on Martha's Vineyard.
>As of 10 this morning (while driving through the Brockton area) 1150 was
>still simulcasting WEEI, complete with legal ID slipped in at the top of the
>hour...
>
>Doug Bassett
>West Brattleboro, Vt.

Yes, I've noticed. Can't figure out whether ARS is doing this because WEEI
has been operating at reduced power for tower maintenance (I don't think
1150 adds much of anything to 850's temporarily reduced coverage), or
whether they are rotating 1150 through their stable of Boston area signals.
If so, they aren't doing it alphabetically, although they started proprly
enough with WAAF. Next in alphabetical order should have been WBMX.

I first noticed the latest switch when I was lying in bed with the lights
out and tuning the SuperRadio III. I thought I was on 850, and as I tuned
upward, I was impressed with how well WWL was coming in--but I was on 1150
and it was WWVA. Nothing very special about that.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205