Fwd: ethnic radio

>  ...remember reading somewhere that Arbitron will no longer rate
>  anyone who doesn't pay them to do so.

Wrong-O....Arbitron lists *everyone* (except non-commercial stations)
that meets the minimum reporting standards....

> Does anyone know the reasoning behind why Arbitron does not or won't
rate
> ethnic (that is, foreign language--) stations?  I was told by a GM
that he
> can't get ratings for his AM station no matter how well it does... I
thought
> Arbitron rated you no matter what your format...

Maybe the GM doesn't want to admit that he *really* doesn't have (m)any
listeners...???

While WUNR never shows up in the rating book....rarely does WBPS...  But
WNNW has been showing up in the Boston ARB's....

So that IS one station that *does* show...

Coupla thoughts....

1.)  Diary keeping probably isn't the top priority for non-english
speaking folks...(Although ARB has done moire to increase Spanish
sampling...)

2.)  Most of the 'ethnic' stations have pretty awful programming.  Just
because it is in Spanish, Portugese, etc....*doesn't* mean that it is
good programming.

In Providence, I remember running the board for a guy who did the
spanish show.  He played a few spanish language songs....did a LOT of
spanish language commercials....and did a few ethnic-orieted PSA's....
Apparently he had no problem selling spots....  The Bank, Mall, Etc....
got the impression that this was reaching *all* the spanish speaking
people....when in fact very few of them listened...