Re: Programming: satellite vs local

At 02:07 AM 6/16/97 +0000, you wrote:

>Satellite programming, per se is a quality product, sure it's generic but it
>has to be (more on this later).

Sure, I'm not the typical listener, but isn't _anyone_ else bothered by the
generic satellite timecheck--it's 22 minutes past? Sheesh! The technology is
available to fix that and indeed the now-defunct KidStar Network _had_
solved the problem. The programs, which originated in Seattle, were tape
delayed in all time time zones except Eastern. I gather that KidStar used
four transponders to deliver the programming. I hope nobody alleges that the
cost of leasing the extra transponders is what did KidStar in.

Alternatively, satellite-fed stations could use a device such as the one
WCAP has been using for at least ten years. I presume that a time cue tone
activates a local tape that contains timechecks for the entire day in
1-minute increments. I think that WCAP may even have a similar gadget for
the temperature. WCAP's setup uses a single generic voice, but it wouldn't
be a big stretch to add the voices of the various personalities in their own
dayparts.

If either the locally originated timechecks or the multiple satellite feeds
were combined with a good automation setup, the result could sound almost
local. What would still be missing is local news. But organizations such as
Metro Networks offer this. Net result? A product that would be almost
completely indistinguishable from the local equivalent.

About the only area that would need work is call-in contests. You could
replace the 800 number with a local number that actually rang at the studio
in Denver, Dallas, or wherever. Kidstar did this but went overboard. Instead
of one or two Boston area numbers, they must have had 20. Who could remember
the nearest number? And there was obviously no time to give out 20 numbers
during a call-in contest. But this doesn't solve the problem of "This hour's
winner is Suzy Jones who lives on Elm St." Yeah, right. Like there's one Elm
St in greater Boston.

>Lastly, where do automated stations fit in the scheme?  Is WCRB running
>voicetracked Classical music off a hard-drive on 2 different stations local?
>How about WJIB and it's repeaters playing VCR tapes of wall-to-wall 50s MOR
>music...is that local programming?

In my opinion, an automated local station, if implemented well, qualifies as
a locally programmed station. The voice tracks can be recorded only a short
time before the program airs, making possible references to the local
weather at times other than prearranged weather breaks. It is also possible
for the personalities to mention local happenings that don't necessarily
qualify as news.

But I fear that this discussion misses a very important point. In recent
years, independent local merchants have largely been replaced by outlets of
national chains. Although many of these outlets are locally-owned
franchises, the chain, for all practical purposes, seems to control the
disposition of advertising dollars. And the chains do not advertise on local
radio. I guess that there are some radio network buys (ServiceStar Hardware
comes to mind), but not many. So what advertisers remain to buy time on this
local station (or clever simulation of a local station) that we're talking
about? Could it be that the American business model has simply bypassed
local radio as an advertising medium?

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205