Technophobia

Is this the same group of people who a few weeks ago were waxing nostalgic
over memories of WBZ-FM and other automated stations of yore?  In what way
is Jibguy's system (or ours, for that matter) any worse than "Bozo" or
"Arko"?

Automation technology is pushing down the cost of doing radio.  It allows
station owners to stay local that otherwise might have no choice but to go
satellite.

Locally programmed classical music is now a viable format even in small
markets using off-the-shelf automation systems and software like that
which I wrote for WCRB.  Ditto adult standards, jazz, and maybe even
all-news.  This technology is not destructive; it is only the domination
of much of our industry by unimaginative Wall Street types that makes it
appear so.

Rob Landry
umar@wcrb.com