Re: Programming: satellite vs local

On Sun, 15 Jun 1997, SteveOrdinetz wrote:

> Lastly, where do automated stations fit in the scheme?  Is WCRB running
> voicetracked Classical music off a hard-drive on 2 different stations local?

Don't forget that we also broadcast live Boston Symphony Orchestra, Boston
Pops, and Tanglewood concerts.  These are not syndicated programs -- all
but the Sunday Tanglewood concerts (carried by WAMC and WGBH) air only on
WCRB. We'll be the only station to broadcast live from the Esplanade on
July 4.

Music stations almost by definition play mostly, if not entirely,
recordings made in Los Angeles and marketed nationally, since that's what
people seem to want to hear.  The cost of recording one's own music and
marketing it locally is probably prohibitive for most broadcasters.

WHRB, which has lots of free labor at its disposal, records a fair amount
of music and occasionally invites local musicians into its studios to play
live on the radio.

As of last week, incidentally, WFCC is being given a music schedule
substantially different from that on WCRB.

Rob Landry
umar@wcrb.com