Re: Programming: satellite vs local

> From: Steveordinetz            \ Internet:    (steveord@xtdl.com)

> Is there anything uniquely "Boston" or even "New England" about Magic
106,
> Kiss 108, WZLX, or WJMN?

Where do I begin?

Morning-drive is done programmed DURING morning drive hours....unlike
Sat-fed stations which never know when morning-aft drive is in your time
zone...

During non-drive times they are more music intensive to match the
workplace or other lifestyle/listening pattern changes...

Weather reports...and ad-libs...which tell the listener, I live in the
same town as you...

Music that is selected based on Boston area residents...not a generic
master list...

Personalities that we have come to know and love....  Dale Dorman from
my childhood is still on the air saying "Hi Ma!"  Mike Addams "Ooo-ooo-
oh" from nites on RKO is now the morning guy on Magic. Charles Laquidera
?  Etc...

Promotions at area nite-clubs that we all know and love.

Spot breaks that are not s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d to meet the networks 'join
time'.

Competitive issues.  If MIX 98.5 breaks at :50....Magic can break at :46
...If they feel that is a necessary competitive 'card' they need to play
.  With a sattelite format...they breaks are where they at the samer
time for everyone reguardless....

Jocks shifts correspond to local lifestyle/listening patterns On the
sattelite....a Morning jock can start at 8AM.....switching off from a
different guy who was on at 7AM..Does that make sense?

Being able to adjest the periphery(sp?) of their music if necessary.
Oldies 103 has moved into the 70's and it has done them quite well!
With a satt-fed format....you can't adjust the era...if it were
necessary....

And if nothing else....the Jock can say "Good morning" when it's morning
....and "Boy is it HOT" when it's hot.

All these thing help the station 'connect' with it's audience.

On an on and on....

BM