Re: Marshfield cable TV controversy

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fitzpatrick, Mike" <engineer@the-spa.com>
To: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 1:36 AM
Subject: Re: Marshfield cable TV controversy

> Not turning this into a free speech issue here, but I don't think Free
> Speech applies to privately run, closed circuit systems. Free Speech
applies
> to in the general public. A cable TV system is not a public entity,
although
> regulated by the Federal government via the FCC, it is still private so
> freedom of speech rules do not apply to it or any channels carried on it.

Many public access cable TV stations are run by the local government.  They
are funded by a franchise fee and sometimes run by boards that are appointed
by political authorities.  When that is the case, there is government action
and the First Amendment applies.  It would depend upon the structure of each
station.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine