Re: Marshfield cable TV controversy

At 1:36 AM -0400 10/21/03, Fitzpatrick, Mike wrote:

>Not turning this into a free speech issue here, but I don't think Free
>Speech applies to privately run, closed circuit systems. Free Speech applies
>to in the general public. A cable TV system is not a public entity, although
>regulated by the Federal government via the FCC, it is still private so
>freedom of speech rules do not apply to it or any channels carried on it.

The cable TV system may be private, but a public access channel is
considered a public forum, and thus free speech considerations do
apply.  It is not truly public if only part of the public is allowed
to be heard, and that part of the public deemed controversial by some
"authority" is not allowed to be heard.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH