Re: Marshfield cable TV controversy

At 01:51 PM 10/20/2003, you wrote:

>Kind of a tough call-- should such a show stay on
>because we have freedom of speech, or should
>"community standards" prevail?

Salem Access TV would air such a show, but the producer's contact info must
be provided to us along with a signed release, so the producer of the show
(and only the producer) is on the hook.

We do teach our producers about "community standards" and the slipperiness
thereof.  We do emphasize that producers must "own" the things they say
over the air and the consequences thereof.  One of our past executive
directors, Bob Miot, wrote once about the time he discouraged a producer
from appearing naked on his own show in a "spring rite";  this was 10+
years ago on the Cape.

If I were Marshfield's ED, I would encourage the offended parties to
express themselves to the producer.   Given the time and effort to produce
TV, it'd be amazing if this producer continued for more than a few episodes
before getting tired of it or deciding to grow up and get a life.

(EDITORIAL)  I don't live in Marshfield so I haven't seen the show.  I may
or may not find it obnoxious, but I do not want our government to be any
more involved with speech issues than it already has to be (e.g. ,no
"hate-speech" laws.)  If the programming really has gone beyond adolescent
locker-room talk and a crime is committed on tape (which does not yet seem
to be the case), there are already laws for this.

Take care,

Dave
SATV IT Coordinator
Not speaking for them