Re: Pro's & Kin's

  Richard Chonak wrote:

>People used to fuss at NPR for calling one of the Central
>American countries "Nee-ka-rra-wah", so I guess they just like
>those Espanish-type pronunciaciones.
>
>I was appalled recently to hear some poseur news announcer read a story
>about "Koo-bah", though I don't think that was on NPR!

One talk host I've heard seems to insist on pronouncing Pakistan
"pock-ee-stawn" (yet pronounces Afghanistan the way the rest of us do).

The one that really gets me though (and I hear this all the time) is
Oregon...correct way (at least the way the locals pronounce it) is
OAR-uh-gun, not oar-uh-GONE.  Wish I had a dime for every time I've heard
this on WBZ (who should know better) or CBS news (ditto).