Re: Hartford gets 2nd hip-hopper

At 09:02 PM 9/16/2003, Sven Franklyn Weil wrote:
> > construction guys at Electric Boat building the subs.  Loads of people
> > listened...but they were all in a demographic that spend next to nothing
> > as far as the advertisers were concerned and the station rarely (if
>
>You're kidding!
>
>What was the target demographic for this station and what sort of listener
>were they attracting?
>
>I thought construction workers at shipyards made good money....

No way...not these days, and not when WXZR was around (mid to late
1990's).  They're lucky to have jobs most of the time.   In the Cold War
heydey Electric Boat could turn out one sub per week...faster if
needed.   Nowadays they're lucky to have three or four subs on order for
the next five years.

Also, it's a demographic that's commonly not perceived to go for
high-dollar-value items, except stereo gear and cars (and yes, ZRock did
have a lot of advertisers along those lines).   So the sales crew had a
really hard time overcoming that perception and getting folks to fork over
the cash for ad time.

>And sailors....well....

Nah - sailors buy everything on-base.  Or at least they used to.  No sales
tax.   The bars and local strip joints did advertise on ZRock, but that was
mostly it for the Navy crews.   The on-base Commissary was HUGE in Groton,
too...way bigger than the CambridgeSide Galleria as I remember it.  And
this was well before mega-malls were the rage.  It's impossible to
overestimate how important the Navy (and, by extension, Electric Boat) was
to Southeastern Connecticut...economically, during the 1970's and 1980's it
*was* New London county, period.